Siirry sisältöön


Language and culture

Finnish is a difficult language, but it is not impossible to learn. There are various online Finnish language courses available. Just knowing a few basic words before you arrive, will help you feel more at home.

Finnish online courses

Also learning more about Finland before you arrive will make your experience more enjoyable. Some links to start with:

For local studying options in Kurikka, please, see the Adult Education Centre (Kurikan kansalaisopisto)


You should reserve enough time for finding a rental place to live. It is good to have a chat to your new local colleagues and/or friends for tips on shops and services, schools, and childcare etc. We are lucky in the South Ostrobothnia region in comparison to the bigger cities that there is still plenty of space and available apartments for rent.

Long term apartments are usually rented unfurnished, but they do include fitted kitchen cupboards, wardrobes, fridge and stove (also often a dishwasher).

Long term rentals are mostly listed online for example at:


For local housing options in Kurikka, you can also see:



Before you can access the public health care as a resident and if you are an EU citizen, you can use the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which covers acute healthcare under the same conditions and at the same cost as for Finns. You need to apply for this card in your own country before you leave.

After you have a municipality of residence (kotikunta) in Finland, you are entitled to use public health care services.

For local public health care services, please see:

JIK ky

There are three health care centres in the area: one in Kurikka, Jalasjärvi and Jurva. To make an appointment either in Kurikka or Jurva, please call +358 (0)6 4585 301. For an appointment in Jalasjärvi, please call +358 (0)6 4585 101.

In an emergency always call 112.


Dental health Also, if you have a municipality of residence (kotikunta) in Finland, you are entitled to use public dental care services. You can make a booking by calling central number +358 (0)6 458 5161. Kurikka, Jalasjärvi and Jurva have their own local clinics.

The Move

Arranging an international move is a big one! It is good to consult and get quotes from a few removalist companies to compare. The prices can vary but also pay attention to the service and if possible, get recommendations. See some options here:

Expat Finland – The Finland Guidebook

Consider carefully what you would need to bring. It is easy to find inexpensive furniture in second-hand shops and the recycling culture is very active in Finland. If you wish to bring electronics, you might need voltage converters and plug adapters.

Removal companies can also assist with bringing your pets along.

If you intend to bring a car as removal goods, you must declare it to customs:

Importing of a used vehicle

The Mover’s List:

  • When you rent a home, always make a written tenancy agreement (vuokrasopimus). Tenancy agreement can be made for a fixed period (i.e. määräaikainen sopimus) or for the time being (i.e. toistaiseksi voimassa oleva sopimus). The amount of rent payable and the date on which it should be paid are stated in the tenancy agreement.
  • A security bond of 1-3 months is usually required. The bond will be returned to you when you move out (if you have kept the apartment in good condition and there is no rent owing).
  • It is highly recommendable to get a private home insurance. For some landlords, this might even be a requirement for renting the apartment. Home insurance (kotivakuutus) is provided by insurance companies. Insurance companies will help you to choose the kind of insurance that best meets your needs.
  • You can get an electricity supply contract (sähkösopimus) by calling a power company and giving them your name and new address. You can request tenders from different power companies and choose the one that suits you the best.
  • The tenancy agreement will state whether water (vesi) is included in the rent or whether it is payable separately each month.
  • By Finnish law, every home must have a fire alarm (palohälytin). The resident must make sure, that the alarm works, and batteries are changed approximately once a year. If the fire alarm is out of order, home insurance does not cover a fire.
  • Household waste is taken out in closed-up bin bags into containers reserved for them. Recycling and environment are very important in Finland so make sure to get to know the rules on this:
  • The storage facilities are reserved for belongings which are not needed daily.
  • Cars must be parked in allocated areas only.
Pirneskoski Mirva
maahanmuuttokoordinaattori / Immigration Coordinator
050 569 8914
Keskuspuistikko 14, 61300 Kurikka