Siirry sisältöön

After Arrival

Local Registration

After arriving to Finland, you need to submit a Notification of move to a local post office or online

Foreign citizens from all countries who intend to stay or work in Finland for at least one year or longer must also register at the local register office (Maistraatti, Juhonkatu 4, Seinäjoki). You can make an appointment online at: or by calling:

The registration must be done within one week of your move.

Bring the following documents with you to the register office:

  1. Passport
  2. Residence permit (if you come outside the EU/EEA area)
  3. Other relevant documents and their official translations (the Apostille Certificate, apostille-todistus). For example, if you are married, you need to bring your marriage certificate. If you have children, you need to bring their birth certificates.

Social Security

Social security is administered by the Finnish Social Insurance Institution (KELA). KELA manages social security services and benefits, such as the national pension, child benefit, basic unemployment security, sickness and parenthood allowance, income support and rehabilitation. KELA also provides health care benefits paid for private health care.

KELA does not offer health care services as such. Health care services are the responsibility of municipalities and are generally provided through local health centres and hospitals.

Find out more at

Your closest KELA office is at Laurintie 21, Kurikka, but note that it is open by appointment only. You can book an appointment online a time or calling kela

Entitlement to Finnish Social Security Coverage


Coverage by the Finnish social security system requires that you are either moving permanently to Finland or working in Finland for at least four months. The scope of social security coverage of employees is also determined by the citizenship of the employees and the intended length of their employment.

For more detailed information, please see other countries to finland employment

Family members

If you move to Finland with your family member, your family members eligibility to Finnish social security is usually assessed based on whether the family member who comes to work in Finland is a resident here.  For more information, please see members


Opening a bank account as soon as you can is essential not only to receive your salary, but it is also a very handy tool for different online identification purposes.

You will need to visit a bank personally. Take with you as many official identification documents as you can. The following documents are usually needed:

  • Passport or other official ID with a photo
  • Residence permit from non-EU citizens
  • Work contract (recommended)
  • Finnish personal ID code (required in most banks) (When you are granted a residence permit or a residence card or your right of residence is registered by the Finnish Immigration Service, your personal information will automatically be recorded in the Finnish Population Information System. You will also be issued a personal identity code.)
  • In most banks, it is necessary to make a personal appointment in advance to open a bank account and to get service in English. Banks are usually open during business hours only.

List of local banks:

  • POP Pankki, Keskuspuistikko 7, Kurikka
  • Oma Säästöpankki, Keskustie 27, Jalasjärvi
  • Osuuspankki, Koskitie 21, Jalasjärvi
  • POP Pankki, Kauppatie 3, Jurva

More banks and branches can be found in Seinäjoki.


As a rule, all employees in Finland must pay income tax. Therefore, you must obtain a tax card (verokortti) from the Tax Office (verotoimisto) for tax withholding. If you work without a tax card, you will be taxed 60% of your salary. The most important factor affecting your taxation is the duration of your stay in Finland, namely whether you will stay here for longer than six months. If you are uncertain whether you will exceed the six-month limit, you will be taxed at source during the first months. A tax card will be issued when it has been confirmed that the six-month limit will be exceeded.

See also taxation in Finland:

Utilities (heating, electricity, water, internet, mobile)


Most homes in cities and towns have district heating systems (kaukolämpö). In this case, heating is included in the rent. However, if you live in a detached house or outside the city, you might have electric or oil heating and you should be prepared to pay for them. Electricity is quite expensive in Finland.


Electricity is not usually included in the rent and you need to make an electricity contract (sähkösopimus) as soon as possible. You can choose the providing company. If you move, remember to terminate, or update you contract.


Water is often included in the rent. In some case, however, you need to pay an additional monthly water fee either based on usage or a fixed sum. If the water is not included in the rent and/or you need to get your house connected to water, please, contact Kurikka water maintenance: Kurikan vesihuolto, Merja Mäkiranta p. 044 723 1004


Some recently built apartments offer internet access. However, it is very likely that you do need to make your own agreement with one of the internet service providers for example Elisa, DNA or Telia . You might have to pay a bond if you don’t have long enough, usually two years of credit history to show.


Telephone booths and land lines are almost non-existent in Finland. You will most likely get a work mobile phone with a plan but if you would like your own as well or one for a family member, a pre-paid phone card is an option for you to start. You can buy these at the operator shops (Sonera, Elisa, Saunalahti, DNA) or in a R-kioski, which is a type of small convenience store. After living in Finland permanently for two years you can get a fixed plan for your phone.

Pirneskoski Mirva
maahanmuuttokoordinaattori / Immigration Coordinator
050 569 8914
Keskuspuistikko 14, 61300 Kurikka